Friday, January 20, 2012

Life goal: happiness

One of my my college roommates (and favorite people in life), Norah, is in NYC for the weekend. We were doing the whole catching up thing and just talking about life in general. Somehow, just before she fell asleep, we got to a point in the conversation where I said something along the lines of, "All I really want in life is to be happy." I think I was talking about how I don't really know exactly what I want in life. Part of it is just a lifestyle I'm seeking, or staying away from a certain kind of lifestyle. Because I have figured out some things that I'm fairly certain will NOT make me happy, so I'd like to avoid them. But I don't really know what my life is going to look like, and I'm okay with that. I don't really have any specific goals as of yet. I'm still trying to figure a lot of things out (which I think is partly just how life goes and I'll always be doing that) and to a large extent I'm just taking everything one day at a time right now. All I know for sure is that I would like to, at any point in my life, be able to look back and say that I have led an overall happy life. It may seem like a simple idea, but I feel like it's one that people can easily lose sight of and I hope to never lose sight of it.

(There are a couple of related ideas that I may touch on later, but that's all I really want to say at the moment.)

2 comments:

  1. I don't think its simple at all. What you are saying here is you are responsible for your own life. You are taking ownership of you. I think this little post is packed with a powerful message. The goal here is happiness and the way to get there is through relationship, sharing, honesty, love, respect (to name a few). All of those things take work and presence. Anything with meaning does. I think its wonderful that you are willing to do what it takes to live a happy life and I'm glad we can learn and grow together and continue to work towards better ourselves and the world around us. I love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiness sounds like a simple goal but attaining it really isn't. We find happiness doing things we love, being with people we love and, most importantly by loving who we are. And like I said yesterday, try to find the happiness in your life in small ways - Follies, seeing a friend, etc.

    ReplyDelete